.
.
.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Facebook - The First Month

My new profile on Facebook has probably been started for about a month. In that month, I have been relatively active on Facebook, adding friends, playing games, starting a group and generally getting a feel of how things work. And I have to say that it is most probably the most prodigious time waster ever invented!

Having said that, it is also a very effective tool for networking, marketing or simply making friends. In fact, many of the features of the apps and games on Facebook are designed with the viral element in mind, and I can appreciate that under the right conditions, a Facebook app can really spread like wildfire.

It usefulness in Internet marketing is undisputed. On Facebook, it is much easier to reach people with your marketing message than with other mediums. And if you are looking to build a list, just start a group and get your Facebook friends to join.

One thing about Facebook is the diversity of the people you encounter. I could start a group related to Internet marketing and invite all my Facebook friends to join. While I might get a response rate of 10% - 20%, that is achieved with minimal resources and effort.

But if I can find an offer which is of interest to perhaps 50% of the people there, and incorporate a viral element, things could get interesting.

Anyway, just thinking out loud. I'm going to continue to explore this new medium and its possibilities.

0 comments: