.
.
.

Friday, March 27, 2009

SEO Discovery - No Rank II (Part 1 of 3)

Following the discovery that this blog has no Google page rank, I did a check of my website about starting an online business.


The home page returned a page rank of 4. Not bad considering that it is rarely updated, and that I have link exchanges going on in the site where a page can have a lot of outgoing links.


I checked an internal page (not a link page), and it returned a "not ranked". Same thing happened with a few other pages. Apparently, other than the home page, all the rest of the pages on that site is probably not ranked.


The site is an old site so Google would have had plenty of time to crawl the site. Other than link exchanges, I did not engage in any other questionable activites. And link exchanges will not get you banned. What's going on?


I went to Google and typed in "link:quittingyourjob.com". Google returned 145 results, so practically the whole site is indexed. It is possible that the rest of the site is considered supplemental, or having near identical content.


But the content of the site is 100% original, with each page having different content. Why does Google consider the rest of the site supplemental?


I took another look at the results again and discovered something interesting. It seems that every single of the results, with some exceptions, bears the same description. I have reproduced some of the results below:




It's not very clear but you get the picture.

To be expedient, I had simply used the same title and description for every page of my site. To Google, that probably means that the internal page is probably a close duplicate and less important.

I zoomed in on one of the pages about why most people fail at online businesses. First, I confirmed that it does not have a PR rating. Then, I took a phrase from the page, "we live in an impatient society", and did a search on Google for it. I did not use double quotes.

The search returned 332,000 results. The page was not on the first page. I dug deeper in and found the page in 27th spot!

That is definitely a surprise to me as I never expected a page that is not ranked to be so close to the top spot. I checked the page rank of the 5 pages below me and found that there was 1 PR3, 1 PR1, 1 PR0 and 2 pages are not ranked.

It is impossible to come to a definite conclusion as to the implications and significance of this. But I think it would be fair to say that while page rank is a factor, it is not a very big one. Overall, the relevance of the webpage wins hands down when determining its position in the search result.

0 comments: